Chaos Footbag Forum

This is the Chaos Forum. It is for Chaos members, members of lesser clubs, and fans!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Increasing competition at practice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Das Boot

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Increasing competition at practice   Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 am

If we're gonna cover the world in our own brand of green domination then as was brought up in our recent club meeting, competition at practice needs to be top notch. I'm sure everyone has a few ideas on how to bring the booya to our weekly sessions. Here are a few of mine:

1) Monthly competitions: Every month on say the first Thrusday or Saturday, we set up a Chaos tournament. Format can be set later, but I think that to increase competitiveness of our club, we need to compete. And let's make it matter, like five dollars entry with winnings going to the winner/ people who performed above their own ranking.

2) Player rankings: As my esteemed colleague Sucky noted, there's no better way to know how good you are than by a pure number. If say (and this is just hypothetical because it would never happen), that I was number 8 of 8 at a particular practice, then that might be some incentive for me to get my boot in gear and stomp some fools to up my number. This number could be assigned monthly at our homespun tourneys and be some sort of aggregate of singles and doubles skillz.

3) Attendance: Seven people is not booya. There should be incentive for player appearance at practices. Here is what I propose: at each tourney, the four top performers get billed as 'first court' for that month, meaning that every practice these four get the first game on the first court. There would also be a 'second court' and eventually a 'third court'. If I were someone like Shrickdawg or Wulff and I was branded as 'third court' then I would feel like I need to show up more to get back to my rightful position on first court. Especially, if say there were a jerk or a suckster on first court. Also, after like 2 or 3 missed practices at a month, a person would lose their slot on a particular court and slide from first to second or second to third.

4) Club Culture: We're all getting to be a pretty close-knit group of baggers. All the fun I've had outside of practice with Chaos probably carries equal weight with the fun I've had at practices. Thursday nights have been loads of fun at Jake's, PT's or Ben n' Nicks. It's makes the day's practice all the more better when we can share a story of a sweet spike or dig over a few pints. It's also been quite helpful for me on gaining insight on how certain plays or stratagies are carried out. Plus, there's usually delicious Lagunitas on tap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jergernaut

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Increasing competition at practice   Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:33 am

To quote EJ: "Dogs wiiiill hunt." Don't really know what that means, but it sounded right-on at the time.
I am open to discussion on this topic. The only problem I foresee is that certain players have less of a choice than others about how many practices they can attend per week/month. We are the lucky ones whose jobs (or lack thereof) and places of residence cooperate with our kicking schedule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
willy winston III

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Increasing competition at practice   Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Willy Winston III likes this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.inner-rectangle.blogspot.com
BigPoppaPetey
Admin

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Increasing competition at practice   Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Das Boot wrote:
If we're gonna cover the world in our own brand of green domination then as was brought up in our recent club meeting, competition at practice needs to be top notch. I'm sure everyone has a few ideas on how to bring the booya to our weekly sessions. Here are a few of mine:

1) Monthly competitions: Every month on say the first Thrusday or Saturday, we set up a Chaos tournament. Format can be set later, but I think that to increase competitiveness of our club, we need to compete. And let's make it matter, like five dollars entry with winnings going to the winner/ people who performed above their own ranking.

Yep I say every 1st saturday of the month or something easy to remember, if their is a conflict we push it the following saturday.
Lets do this, actually lets do this this saturday.

Das Boot wrote:

2) Player rankings: As my esteemed colleague Sucky noted, there's no better way to know how good you are than by a pure number. If say (and this is just hypothetical because it would never happen), that I was number 8 of 8 at a particular practice, then that might be some incentive for me to get my boot in gear and stomp some fools to up my number. This number could be assigned monthly at our homespun tourneys and be some sort of aggregate of singles and doubles skillz.
I like this concept I am not sure how we will do it. I like the mixed point system 1-8 plays 2-7 down the row, but it has some flaws as the finals don't seem completely accurate. Let keep this idea flowing.

Das Boot wrote:

3) Attendance: Seven people is not booya. There should be incentive for player appearance at practices. Here is what I propose: at each tourney, the four top performers get billed as 'first court' for that month, meaning that every practice these four get the first game on the first court. There would also be a 'second court' and eventually a 'third court'. If I were someone like Shrickdawg or Wulff and I was branded as 'third court' then I would feel like I need to show up more to get back to my rightful position on first court. Especially, if say there were a jerk or a suckster on first court. Also, after like 2 or 3 missed practices at a month, a person would lose their slot on a particular court and slide from first to second or second to third.
I am with you on the 7 sucks, I think their should be rewards for players who make the most practices, maybe they sit one less game then the player who comes when they can. I know I am always a victim of the 7th layer of hell, as plan the practices and text the non responsive people, it sucks to have to sit as much. I really think we should keep this dialogue going.

Now, the second idea in a year when 2.0 is up and fully operational, similar to the death star in Return of the Jedi, will completely work. But, we will have to tread lightly here, as our older players, me included will be strapped for time as we have kids and stuff, if we still represent the top of the ladder it wouldn't work, if we belong on little "a" by then, then ok.

Also to note, we used to have a rule the first 4 players that made the training play the first game no matter what on A court. I would like to bring this rule back to reward the people who set up the nets and get there early. As meshing with 7 and different skill levels have set in, it has gotten clouded. I vote bring it back.

Das Boot wrote:

4) Club Culture: We're all getting to be a pretty close-knit group of baggers. All the fun I've had outside of practice with Chaos probably carries equal weight with the fun I've had at practices. Thursday nights have been loads of fun at Jake's, PT's or Ben n' Nicks. It's makes the day's practice all the more better when we can share a story of a sweet spike or dig over a few pints. It's also been quite helpful for me on gaining insight on how certain plays or stratagies are carried out. Plus, there's usually delicious Lagunitas on tap.

Words can not express how much fun I have had getting back to my roots of Killing and partying. I believe that this year will forever be the best year of footbag for me, I have had so much fun getting crazy crunk and teaching new people, for years I would go home after a kick go to bed, getting CRUNKMUFFIN has been Da bomb
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chaosfootbag.clubdiscussion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Increasing competition at practice   

Back to top Go down

Increasing competition at practice
Page 1 of 1